[ipxe-devel] iPXE + UEFI + WINPE5 Failures on HP Z230 Workstations

Andreas Hammarskjöld junior at 2PintSoftware.com
Fri Feb 26 11:04:42 UTC 2016

Try:

kernel /iPXE/wimboot
initrd --name BCD /Images/Autoghost4.02/contents/BOOT/BCD BCD
initrd --name boot.sdi /Images/Autoghost4.02/contents/BOOT/BOOT.SDI boot.sdi
initrd --name bootmgfw.efi /Images/Autoghost4.02/contents/SOURCES/BOOT/Windows/Boot/EFI/bootmgfw.efi bootmgfw.efi
initrd –name boot.wim /Images/Autoghost4.02/contents/SOURCES/BOOT.WIM boot.wim
boot

From: ipxe-devel-bounces at lists.ipxe.org [mailto:ipxe-devel-bounces at lists.ipxe.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Bobulsky
Sent: den 25 februari 2016 20:21
To: Jessica Hamilton <jessica.l.hamilton at gmail.com>
Cc: ipxe-devel at lists.ipxe.org
Subject: Re: [ipxe-devel] iPXE + UEFI + WINPE5 Failures on HP Z230 Workstations

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 1:26 AM, Jessica Hamilton <jessica.l.hamilton at gmail.com<mailto:jessica.l.hamilton at gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi,

I'm having real problems trying to make any headway trying to boot a
WINPE5 based ISO image with iPXE.

My iPXE script currently looks like the following:

kernel /iPXE/wimboot
initrd /Images/Autoghost4.02/contents/BOOT/BCD BCD
initrd /Images/Autoghost4.02/contents/BOOT/BOOT.SDI
initrd /Images/Autoghost4.02/contents/SOURCES/BOOT/Windows/Boot/EFI/bootmgfw.efi
bootmgfw.efi
initrd /Images/Autoghost4.02/contents/SOURCES/BOOT.WIM
boot

But it's failing to load the EFI loader with the error EFI_UNSUPPORTED.

Output is as follows:
Using bootmgfw.efi via 0xbb037588 len 0x14a560
...found bootmgfw.efi file bootmgfw.efi
Using BOOT.WIM via 0xbb037628 len 0xb8e75e1
...found WIM file BOOT.WIM
Using wimboot via 0xbb0376c8 len 0x8440
Read bootmgfw.efi
Could not load bootmgfw.efi: 0x8000000000000003
Could not boot: Error 0x7f048281 (http://ipxe.org/7f048281)

I've also tried adding initrd line for bootmgr.efi as well, after
first attempt at "boot", it fails as before, but a second attempt at
"boot", I get the following:

Could not install disk block I/O protocols: 0x8000000000000014, which
I believe maps to EFI_ALREADY_STARTED?

I'm really very stuck at this point :(

Jessica

Hello Jessica,

Looking at the script you've used and seeing the error you're getting, I can't say for sure where the culprit is, but could suggest some troubleshooting steps.

The error _appears_ to be a problem loading bootmgfw.efi. Wimboot can extract that file from the WIM (unless you explicitly provide it as in your script), so try commenting out or removing the line:

>initrd /Images/Autoghost4.02/contents/SOURCES/BOOT/Windows/Boot/EFI/bootmgfw.efi bootmgfw.efi

...and see what happens.

It would be a good idea to rule out this system's firmware as being the source of the problem as well. Do you have any other UEFI machines you can try booting with the same payload?

Best regards,
Andrew