[ipxe-devel] ipxe to cobbler

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 18:52:59 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Shao Miller <sha0.miller at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/23/2016 06:53, Gene Cumm wrote:
>

>> Yes, you can have iPXE on the ISO but it needs to be loaded by the
>> boot loader on the ISO (most commonly ISOLINUX or GRUB).  Unless
>> someone has a more compact solution, I think you'll need a copy of
>> iPXE for each profile and each copy will have an embedded custom
>> script.  I don't know if iPXE accepts any kernel command line
>> parameters when it is loaded, ie "ipxe.lkrn mycommand myparameter".
>>

> Once upon a time, there was this[1] for both "initrd"s as well as
> command-line arguments (which would be commands), but I don't think it was
> ever merged.
>
> - Shao Miller
> Synthetel: https://www.synthetel.com
>
> [1]
> http://git.etherboot.org/people/sha0/gpxe.git/shortlog/refs/heads/cmdline_initrd

Thought I'd chime in here:

I don't know if you can feed iPXE a direct command line from the
bootloader, but you _can_ feed it a script file via initrd like so (in
GRUB4DOS):

initrd script.ipxe
kernel ipxe.lkrn
boot

Then the contents of script.ipxe will of course be whatever you need to
chain to Cobbler. I'd suggest:

#!ipxe
dhcp ||
chain tftp://cobbler.server/boot.file ||

The script should probably be a little smarter, and you might need/want to
set the $next-server variable in there.

Regardless, you can modify that script file, or have a number of them at
the ready to use in a boot menu that you put on the USB stick/CD you boot
your machines from.

Regards,
Andrew