[ipxe-devel] ipxe to cobbler

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 11:53:49 UTC 2016

0) Moderators/operators: the mailing list is misconfigured.  Due to
Yahoo's decision to force mailing lists to change, it should either
refuse all email from yahoo.com (and others like it with similar DMARC
configurations) or manipulate the FROM based on DMARC configuration.
See http://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC (which requires an update to iPXE's
list daemon) and dmarc_moderation_action of "Munge from" seems the
most acceptable option in my opinion.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Badiane Ka <badiane_ka at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here is what I would like to achieve.
>
> I have setup a cobbler server in an environment where I do not control the
> DHCP server. I have distros, profiles and systems defined.  Since I do not
> have access to the DHCP server to have it pass the nextserver variable to
> the system, I used cobbler buildiso for all the defined profiles.  Now is
> there a way to have iPXE start from an ISO image and contact the tftp server
> as if it had received that information from a DHCP server, pass the MAC
> address of the machine and have cobbler proceed with the machine's
> installation?

Yes, you can have iPXE on the ISO but it needs to be loaded by the
boot loader on the ISO (most commonly ISOLINUX or GRUB).  Unless
someone has a more compact solution, I think you'll need a copy of
iPXE for each profile and each copy will have an embedded custom
script.  I don't know if iPXE accepts any kernel command line
parameters when it is loaded, ie "ipxe.lkrn mycommand myparameter".

--
-Gene