[ipxe-devel] Request for Network support for HP Elitebook 745 G3 (Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Plus)

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:49:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Krizak, Paul <pkrizak at qualcomm.com> wrote:
> I am fairly certain I'm using the latest version:
>
> --- /usr2/pkrizak/git/ipxe
> [pkrizak at melchior]$ git remote -v show
> origin  git://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git (fetch)
> origin  git://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git (push)
>
> --- /usr2/pkrizak/git/ipxe
> [pkrizak at melchior]$ git pull
> Already up-to-date.
>
> --- /usr2/pkrizak/git/ipxe
> [pkrizak at melchior]$ git rev-parse HEAD
> d0bfd830e4e5ddd1015dda66833a99b068b6a519

Yes that's the latest one, goodie ;)

> If you're referring to the build number in some of the screenshots earlier in this thread -- you're right, that was the older build.  We actually did build with the newer version and got the same results (but did not post newer screencaps that show the newer build version).
>
>>> Why kkpxe?
>
> We have a standard infrastructure based on pxelinux, so we are chain-loading iPXE specifically for Windows installs.  Linux and ESX installs go through our standard pxelinux stuff.  But it all has to live on the same network, so pxelinux is the "primary" bootloader.
>
> I did not develop the ipxe setup for Windows -- it was handed to me in this state.  I don't know why we use kkpxe versus other types of bootloaders, except for "that's how it was set up".  Is there a better way to get HTTP-based image downloads to work without needing kkpxe?

Ok yes, use undionly.kpxe (single k) that should work for all nics
that are chained (unless The underlaying UNDI implementation is buggy)

Having pxelinux in the boot path is sometimes causing an issue so you
should try without it, for example by building the .usb version
instead and booting directly from a usb stick.

http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=6989
I'm guessing here, but kkpxe might actually be part of your issue.

> The key feature of ipxe that we're taking advantage of is its ability to use HTTP to retrieve a disk image, rather than TFTP.  With Windows installs, we have to download a multi-hundred-MB image, which takes FOREVER over TFTP. Over HTTP it is much faster and more reliable (since it uses TCP instead of UDP).
>
>>> I'm quite sure I have added that to a build myself.
>
> Maybe it's still sitting in a feature branch and needs to be merged to master?  It's definitely not in the code at the master branch.

It was a one time build and was never sent upstream. (I'm just a iPXE
user like yourself)

> I edited tg3.c and added the PCI_ROM macro, then recompiled.  Same behavior as before.  And I double-checked the build number, and it's the newest one (d0bf...)

What did you build? please try: make bin/14e41687.pxe DEBUG=tg3
Or if you chain from pxelinux you might want make bin/14e41687.lkrn
DEBUG=tg3 instead

undionly versions will never include specific nic versions, so it
won't make any difference.