[ipxe-devel] Request for Network support for HP Elitebook 745 G3 (Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Plus)

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 19:17:21 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Doose, Michael <mdoose at qualcomm.com> wrote:
> Hey team,
>
> I pulled down the latest build this morning to try and add support for the
> new HP Elitebook 745 G3 (AMD) based notebook, but it is still defaulting to
> the Legacy and failing with all zeroes as the Mac Address.
>
> This unit runs a “Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Plus” LAN Adapter. Is
> there anything you can suggest to try and add support for this unit?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Misc Hardware Info:
>
> Hardware IDs:
> PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1687

Hi,

The 14e4-1687 have native supported in ipxe and should work, the first
thing to check in cases like this is the niclist that can be generated
by niclist.pl in the util directory.

What do you mean by Legacy? Assuming you are using the latest git
master, what are your build command and which ipxe file are you using?
legacy might mean undionly.kpxe which do not have any native drivers
in it. you need ipxe.pxe or ipxe.efi depending on platform, you could
also build 14e41687.pxe/.efi to only support the specific nic.

Your issues might also be related to buggy HP firmware:
http://lists.ipxe.org/pipermail/ipxe-devel/2015-November/004476.html

Hope it helps, otherwise you can follow some of the steps described in
the above email thread and see if that gets you any further.

/Christian