[ipxe-devel] PXE boot over the Internet using iPXE

Joshua Fletcher joshuatfletcher at echoes.net
Thu Dec 15 03:57:28 UTC 2016

Hello iPXE developers, my name is Josh. I am currently in college and
I'm doing a personal project on various ways to boot an OS over the
network. In theory I would like to store a few different netboot images
on the apache web server (in differentiated directories) and use an iPXE
instance booted via either NIC ROM or ISO to boot said files. So, for
example, in the iPXE configuration settings where it says "filename" I
would put "http://example.com/netboot/debian/pxelinux.0" or
"http://example.com/netboot/ubuntu/pxelinux.0" and then instruct iPXE to
boot. iPXE would then download these files and other required files and
begin booting. My question has four parts:
1) Is this possible?
2) Is there a better way?
3) If there is a better way, how would I go about implementing it?
4) Is it possible to do any of this over HTTPS/SSL?

Thank you in advance for taking any time to help.
~Josh