[ipxe-devel] Complaints about 71560d1 (sub-686 CPU support drop)

Andrey Korolyov andrey at xdel.ru
Thu Dec 15 17:46:54 UTC 2016

Hi,

src/config/general.h currently contains fxsr-enabling define

193 #define TIVOLI_VMM_WORKAROUND   /* Work around the Tivoli VMM's
garbling of SSE
194                                  * registers when iPXE traps to it due to
195                                  * privileged instructions */

which is obviously no-go for ancient CPUs like Geode LX which are
lacking fxsr support. Although the decision over dropping old CPUs in
71560d1 has been made, it could be useful to drop a bit of information
in a Readme to not confuse a small number of users who are running
Geode-based boxes, so they would not spend hours over bisecting iPXE
code; also there is a number of PC104 users with x86 CPUs using
comparable instruction sets. Of course nobody should care about using
iPXE on a twenty-plus-years old Pentium box, but mentioned examples
are still quite useful over their specific areas.

Please CC me, I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks!