[ipxe-devel] I have a trouble booting iPXE from a specific laptop

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 17:33:54 UTC 2016

Hi,

For reference, what is the exact model number of that Lenovo?

The http://ipxe.org/appnote/hardware_drivers list is not up to date and is
more for ease of use then anything, for current support make sure you have
a local copy of git master and run ./src/util/niclist.pl
However that is still irrelevant in this case since you are using
undionly.kpxe (which uses the UNDI PXE standard so driver support is not
relevant at all)

Actually right now there is several versions of i219 added to ipxe so you
might have better luck by running ipxe.pxe instead of undionly.kpxe.

What is the reason for you to use rom-o-matic? what kind of modifications
do you use it for?
Have you tried the official built undionly.kpxe from http://boot.ipxe.org?
If not please do so. (at least for debugging purposes)

The linked forum post says that the nic is not found - hard to know why -
but the image you posted before clearly shows that the nic is found and
dhcp configuration is attempted, so I don't think it is the same issue at
all.

Please try to chain into the officially built undionly.kpxe from
http://boot.ipxe.org then press ctrl-b when prompted and type dhcp, when it
returns to the iPXE> prompt type ifstat and post a picture of that and we
might be able to figure out what is going wrong in more details.

When this is done it is very likely that we will need to do more debugging,
for that it would be great if you have a machine where you can build ipxe
yourself.

And i still put my money on this being a issue with the Lenovo firmware :D
- and yes undionly.kpxe should work with any and all UNDI stacks provided
by BIOS based NIC ROMs if not it is very likely that they have a issue with
their BIOS.

/Christian