[ipxe-devel] how to ipxe on ALTERNATE_DHCP_PORTS_1067_1068

aromal victor aromalvictor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 08:10:55 UTC 2016

Hi ipxe team,

Need you guidance on making use of the feature - using alternate dhcp that
runs on ports 1067 and 1068.

Scenario:-

I have an existing lab with DHCP which is maintained by IT and I have no
control over it.

I have a set of machines running in this network which I have to install
Operating system. Hence I decide to use Clonezilla DRBL for this task using
PXE boot.

Since I already have an existing DHCP I wasn’t able to run DRBL on the same
network since DRBL has it own DHCP running.

Hence I went ahead and made changes to DRBL–DHCP to run on alternate ports
1067 and 1068.

Clients which ask for IP under these ports will be assigned by DRBL-DHCP
and rest will be assigned by LAB-DHCP.

To make use of the DRBL-DHCP I used Etherboot at first and it was working
fine.

But the bottleneck is Etherboot don’t have support for all NIC's and you
need to make different boot disk for different nics.

Hence I choose ipxe which has support for all nics but I couldn’t find
where to set or the command to use alternate DHCP that runs on ports 1067
and 1068.

Could you please shed some light on this area which is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

AJ