[ipxe-devel] Fwd: wimboot failing for BIOS with BAD CPIO magic(FATAL: Could not extract initrd files)

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 18:16:31 UTC 2016

You have a better chance of getting answers by sending to the mailing list.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:44 PM, shishir pahi <shishir.pahi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Nilsson,
>
> Thanks a Lot. I tried and it is working fine for me.

Great! Which part was it that caused your issue? (great for others to know
if they find this when searching)

> I have one more question regarding iPXE.
>
> Is there any command or some thing else in iPXE through which i can read
> or write some configuration file(sample.cfg) into disk when iPXE is
> running.?
>
> I have one sample.cfg file in TFTP server and want to download it while
> iPXE is running and store some where in file system. Then read sample.cfg
> file and do some action based on cfg value.
>
> Please provide me some solution for this problem. I am stuck with this
> issue.

So you want to store a file downloaded with ipxe to local fs? iPXE have no
support for disks (almost) and no support for any kind of filesystem, the
only exception being saving ipxe logs to a raw log partition, and support
for loading files from the local fs if it is supported by the efi firmware
(in efi mode) Saving files is not supported.

If you want to fetch files in OS most simply load up the nic mac and
download the files thru that unique identifier.
For linux kernels (in legacy mode) it is however possible to load a file
from server and let ipxe add it into the kernel as a cpio archive, it
becomes part of the initrd.

Maybe you can provide some more context of what you want to achive, (and in
what OS)