[ipxe-devel] infinite loop in makefile

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 21:33:32 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Walker, Scott <walker91 at llnl.gov> wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> The repo I am using is http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git and the specific file
> that I want is ipxe.efi.

To build efi you want to specify make bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi

> I upgraded to Make 4.1 and the build still loops infinitely in the [DEPS]
> section.

Asked for this on IRC but no reproduce yet, hopefully mcb can figure
out what is going on here.

> Specifying bin/ipxe.efi (or .pxe) still causes an infinite loop. I tried
> looking into your makefile but I can only pinpoint the function where the
> loop is happening, as the file is past my understanding of Make.
>
> The executable at boot.ipxe.org/ipxe.efi does not work because I can not get
> to the iPXE command line. Control-B causes the program to exit/crash.

What do you see when you get this crash? any chance of a screenshoot or photo?
One issue you might find in EFI is that some firmware implementations
does not send Ctrl, so Ctrl - B does not work.
A workaround for this is using Esc quickly followed by B instead:
https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commit/8dd39b