[ipxe-devel] Track bug: https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=8295, failed to setup an ipxe server

hhei hhei at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 08:09:39 UTC 2016

Hi,

Track bug: https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=8295

I am now setting up an ipxe server to install UEFI guest, but I have one
problem:
After type the "boot" command from the command-line (not from the
script), that I do not see an error-message, then boot from pxe network,
then load ipxe.efi, be stuck in loop, after 3 times, guest turns off.

Could you help to resolve the problem? I checked the bug, and found that
it does not have the problem. Thanks!

My environment:
Host: windows 2012R2, gen2(UEFI firmware)
Guest: rhel7.1 (same kernel version as
http://vault.centos.org/7.1.1503/os/x86_64/)
PXE server: rhel7.1

Setup iPXE Server:
1) yum install binutils-devel gcc zlib-devel bintutils perl make git
xz-devel
2) git clone git://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git
3) cd ipxe/src
4) make bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi
5) make bin/undionly.kpxe
6) Setup dhcpd server
7) Setup tftp server

# ls /var/lib/tftpboot/
initrd.img  ipxe.cfg  ipxe.efi  undionly.kpxe  vmlinuz

dhcpd.conf:

option arch code 93 = unsigned integer 16;

subnet 192.168.199.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

option routers 192.168.199.1;

range 192.168.199.10 192.168.199.50;

class "pxeclients" {

match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient";

next-server 192.168.199.5;

   if exists user-class and option user-class = "iPXE" {

       filename "ipxe.cfg";

   }

   else if option arch = 00:07 {

       filename "ipxe.efi";

   }

   else {

       filename "undionly.kpxe";

   }

}

}

ipxe.cfg:

#!ipxe
dhcp
kernel vmlinuz ro ip=dhcp
inst.repo=http://192.168.99.10/rhel/7/os/x86_64 initrd=initrd.img
initrd initrd.img
boot

Exec Steps:
1. Create a gen2 Hyper-V VM with 2GB RAM, network boot, defaults for
everything else.
2. Disable Secure Boot in EFI firmware config.
3. Start VM.

Actual Result:
After type the "boot" command from the command-line (not from the
script), that I do not see an error-message, then boot from pxe network,
then load ipxe.efi, be stuck in loop, after 3 times, guest turns off

Additional Info:
1. For gen1(bios), can install OS successfully.
2. After type imgstat command, shows "[EFI] [selected]"

Best Regards

--
Best Regards
Huijing Hei