[ipxe-devel] custom dhcp client_id option

Hummel Frank F.Hummel at ads-tec.de
Wed Apr 13 07:15:57 UTC 2016

Please have a look at this: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/software/manageability-products/000007129.html

The problem arises if you work in a production environment where you set up completely new systems.
Start condition is:
- MAC addresses programmed
- System UUID not yet programmed or set to e.g. 0000-0000-..... (same on all systems)

Now imagine, you have some dozens of systems that simultaneously PXE-boot to get their system UUID assigned and programmed by the central server and the systems are all identified by their UUID instead of the MAC.
This results in all systems getting the same IP from the DHCP server and therefor stops your production.
We ran into that problem and had to update the option ROM because of that.

mit freundlichen Grüßen
with kind regards

i. A. Dipl.Ing. (FH) Frank Hummel
Systementwicklung