[ipxe-devel] new storage driver

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Mon Sep 28 13:55:41 UTC 2015

On 25/09/15 04:43, James Harper wrote:
> I want to implement my own san protocol into iPXE, but can't find any documentation to help me get a feel for how the innards of iPXE work.
>
> I have created a skeleton framework, and iPXE calls my uri open function, and then int13h calls my read capacity function, but I don't know what signals completion of the read capacity call, so int13h thinks it timed out, and fails.

read_capacity() (and other block request methods) create a new
sub-interface to be used for that request.  The request is completed by
calling intf_shutdown() to shut down that sub-interface.

> The other thing that my project requires is a way to also read and write data to the primary disk (eg the original int13h disk before my san block device replaced it). I can probably achieve this goal one way or another, but if there is a clean way of doing it (or if a method is already exposed somehow) then that would be great!

There's nothing that currently exposes this specifically for use within
iPXE.  We do remap the underlying INT13 drive so that it remains
accessible (under a different drive number).