[ipxe-devel] [Mohon Peak] Add support for internal SGMII controller

Patrick Agrain patrick.agrain at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon May 25 07:04:20 UTC 2015

Hi Michael,

Sorry for that long delay, but I was working on other topics in the
meantime.
Now, I wish to come back to that thread.

Parsing the intel.c - intel.h code, I have the feeling IMHO that this
code is not able to manage external PHYs, which, actually is not a
problem, because the managed controllers also have an internal PHY.

Let me know if I'm wrong...

The chip that I tried to include in the IPXE source tree (8086-1F41) is
based on the Intel i354.
 From an Intel point of view, this chip can be managed with the Intel
igb driver.
The difference with all controllers managed in the IPXE intel.c driver
is that the 8086-1F41 _requires_ an external PHY, because it is embedded
in the Rangeley Atom processor.

Therefore I'm facing a problem. What to do ?
- Either trying to merge the external PHY control from Intel igb driver
to the IPXE source tree ?
- Or merge the Intel igb driver into the IPXE source tree (what I
already proposed) ? But in that case, most of the controllers in the
intel.c driver would be duplicated in the Intel igb driver.

What do you think ? Any hint would be welcome.
Regards,
Patrick Agrain