[ipxe-devel] Keyboard problem with new USB/xHCI options

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Wed Mar 11 14:48:15 UTC 2015

On 11/03/15 14:31, Bovey Christian wrote:
> We used iPXE with success for 3 years now.
>
> With the latest versions (supporting the xHCI PCH8 / 9), we have
> problems with the keyboard on new computers.
>
> We have compiled the latest version but with our last computer (HP
> Elitedesk 800 G1) keyboard turns off when iPXE loads. Everything works
> well on older machines (eg. HP Elite 8000).
>
> By using an older version (03/03/2015) of files "drivers / usb / xHCI.
> *", everything works fine on both computers.

My guess: the keyboard is plugged in to a port which can be configured
as either USB2 (routed to the EHCI controller) or USB3 (routed to the
xHCI controller).  Your ports are probably configured as "auto"
USB2/USB3 in the BIOS setup.  As of the PCH8/9 commit
(http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/ff32040), iPXE will switch
these ports over to the xHCI controller.  This will have the unfortunate
side effect of disconnecting your keyboard from the EHCI controller
(which is still providing legacy USB keyboard emulation), and so your
keyboard is no longer usable.

iPXE will eventually have to add its own USB keyboard driver, since
there's no way to leave the BIOS legacy USB keyboard emulation running
while using USB NICs connected to the same controller.

In the meantime, you should be able to use the BIOS setup to configure
the relevant port as USB2 only; this will prevent it from being rerouted
to xHCI by iPXE.

> Other questions, we tried the EFI version, but the HTTPS protocol is not
> working. Is it currently supported? If not, will it be soon?

There is no entropy source available under UEFI and hence the RNG fails
its start-of-day self-tests.  There is a patch to add an entropy source
available somewhere in the xCAT repository; I haven't merged this yet
because (from memory) of some uncertainty as to the amount of entropy it
generates.