[ipxe-devel] Help building EFI

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 07:44:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 2:41 AM, Tanner Rork <tanner.rork at outlook.com> wrote:
> I’m trying to get ipxe to work in UEFI but after it boots up it doesn’t see
> the network card. After some reading it seems that I need to build an efirom
> for my motherboard, however I can’t afford to break this motherboard. The
> driver in the ipxe.efi doesn’t work. I also don’t want to flash the
> motherboards ROM either. I was thinking I could make a .efidrv for the
> onboard NIC but I’m not sure if that would work or how to build it
> necessarily. Can you please advise? Also if I have to build an efirom (can’t
> do something non-permenant) can you please give some detailed instructions?

Hi,

if ipxe.efi does not have drivers, you wont find any driver that you
can build from the ipxe sources to efidrv or efirom.

Which nic is it? so that we can check for any chances of getting it working.
As an alternative you could perhaps chain from the build in efi PXE,
and chain to ipxe.efi in which case i should use the more generic SNP
or NII driver instead if no native driver is found.

Regards
Christian