[ipxe-devel] - uuid mangle does not show correctly for my hp elitebook 8440p

Torgeir.Wulfsberg at kongsberg.com Torgeir.Wulfsberg at kongsberg.com
Sat Jul 25 16:46:14 UTC 2015

Hi!

It is the _format_ of the
UUID, not the literal UUID.

The one I wrote down was just to show how the format was on that specific machine (they are probably not that secret, but we have some "confidentiality" to take into consideration. That's why I did not want to write down the actual UUID),

--Torgeir

> Den 25. juli 2015 kl. 16:35 skrev Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 6:07 AM, Robin Smidsrød <robin at smidsrod.no> wrote:
>>> On 22.07.2015 11:45, Torgeir.Wulfsberg at kongsberg.com wrote:
>>> I have an HP Elitebook 8440p, where iPXE does not display the correct UUID for this machine. Searching through the ipxe git repo, I've located this commit.
>>> https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/9e896d0eeaa07d47b2bed4c92072fd638ce3eb55
>>>
>>> Anything before this commit, and iPXE does show the correct UUID for my 8440p.
>>>
>>> Correct UUID from BIOS:
>>> 00112233-4455-6677-8899-aabbccddeeff
>>
>> Looking at that UUID, it seems your OEM didn't bother to actually
>> generate a unique one. That one seems made up. Maybe they actually
>> forgot to properly configure that machine you've got.
>
> Alternatively, you forgot to mention that it's the _format_ of the
> UUID, not the literal UUID.  This distinction is crucial.
>
> --
> -Gene

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail and any attachment contain KONGSBERG information which may be proprietary, confidential or subject to export regulations, and is only meant for the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use is prohibited, if not otherwise explicitly agreed with KONGSBERG. If received in error, please delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender properly.