[ipxe-devel] login/menu commands and serial console?

Ben Hildred 42656e at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 17:35:17 UTC 2015

I hit a similar problem, and I have been toying with the idea of adding
support for basic ansi escapes to iPXE and rewriting the full screen parts
to use it (menu, login, and config) to test feasibility and code size but
due to other projects I have not gone farther than that. Also remember that
iPXE is optimized for small code size with few optimizations of memory
usage, or processor time. I do use the serial interface extensively
(normally mirroring the local screen) and have not seen that problem with
minicom, seyon, screen, or cu (nothing special setup from normal other than
N81 and baud rate) using my default xterm that I use for everything (utf8
wheat on black)

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Sven Dreyer <sven at dreyer-net.de> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I normally use iPXE on a VGA screen (BIOS mode). But I also own some PC
> Engines ALIX / APU boards. Those do not have a VGA part, so I need to use
> the serial port.
>
> When using "login" command, it looks a bit weird, because everytime I type
> a character, the whole line is repeated. Typing my username "sven" would
> result in
>
> s  sv  sve   sven
>
> The "menu" command behaves the same way, if I have four entries, it looks
> like
>
> FirstEntry   SecondEntry   ThirdEntry
>
> When moving the cursor to the second entry, it changes to
>
> FirstEntry   SecondEntry   ThirdEntry   SecondEntry
>
> I saw this with PuTTY, screen and minicom.
>
> Is this normal behaviour or do I need to set a specific terminal emulation
> on the PC I have connected to the other end of the serial cable?
>
> Thanks!
> Sven

Ben Hildred
Automation Support Services