[ipxe-devel] HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-Port 650 FLB Adapter

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Jul 9 16:22:44 UTC 2015

On 08/07/15 17:17, Matthias.Oponczewski at deutsche-boerse.com wrote:
> we have currently the following issue with iPXE:
>
> We have a HP Blade Server BL660c Gen9 with two HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-Port
> 650 FLB Adapter
> configured for UEFI boot.
>
> The build in PXE boot works fine "make bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi", gets its
> IP address and all other
> DHCP parameters. Finally loads and run the IPXE image.
>
> When it comes to request a DHCP address we get the following input/output
> error:
>
> <snip>
>
> net8: c4:34:6b:20:8d:a8 using NII on NII-PCI41:00.0 (open)
>    [Link:down, TX:0 TXE:0 RX:0 RXE:0]
>    [Link status: Unknown (http://ipxe.org/1a086194)]
> Configuring (net8 c4:34:6b:20:8d:a8)................. Error 0x040ee186
> (http://ipxe.org/040ee186)
> No more network devices

> I hope we can get this resolved.

It looks as though the NII interface is reporting that it _does_ support
link status (since PXE_STATFLAGS_GET_STATUS_NO_MEDIA_SUPPORTED is not
set), but is then never reporting the link as being up.

As a first suggestion, try upgrading from UEFI boot to BIOS boot.

If that doesn't work, then you could try editing nii_get_init_info() to
force nii->media=0 (which would cause iPXE to assume that the NII
interface does not support link status, and consequently to assume that
the link is unconditionally up).