[ipxe-devel] Could not boot image: Error 0x7f048281

Linus Lüssing linus.luessing at c0d3.blue
Mon Dec 28 15:13:53 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 08:44:20PM +0100, Christian Nilsson wrote:
> in iPXE you can do scripting and menus and lot's more that you cant do
> in syslinux. I see no reason to stay with syslinux except for if you
> still do loots of disk booting.
>
> if you are using gpxe please upgrade!
>
> why would you use grub instead of iPXE if you are going to switch.
>
> A common problem is to have multiple steps when chaining PXE -> iPXE
> -> pxelinux -> OS (atleast remove as much as possible, and the not
> needed, less capable is pxelinux)
>
> EFI makes it even more complex and probably needs to be more or less
> separate anyway (even if you can reuse parts)
>
> If it was me I would start creating the EFI infrastructure with pure
> iPXE and avoid any other boot loader as much as possible.

Hi Christian,

I just wanted to get the existing PXE environment to work with
this iMac. My plan wasn't to redo the whole PXE setup from the
scratch with iPXE instead of pxelinux.

I was looking for a quick and simple solution, not the perfect one
for now :).

Anyhow, out of curiousity I followed your suggestion now and
started to setup iPXE environment on the server, too. Spend some
time on it, not yet finished and other issues pop up. I'll make
another email thread for that.

If anyone still has an idea for the original error message and how
to solve it for the pxelinux setup then I'd still be curious to
know.

Cheers, Linus

PS: Regarding grub vs. iPXE, you are right, I can get menus with
iPXE too and seems more suitable for such a case indeed :). While
feeling more comfortable/experienced with creating grub and
pxelinux menus, the iPXE configs and scripting are new to me,
still need to learn that.