[ipxe-devel] Broadcast UDP is rejected during pxebs

Daniel Pieczko (dpieczko) dpieczko at solarflare.com
Tue Dec 15 16:00:03 UTC 2015

On 11/12/15 10:17, Daniel Pieczko (dpieczko) wrote:
> The packet is rejected because it doesn't match any of the udp_conns in
> udp_demux() - this is because we have added the local IP address to the
> socket at the beginning of start_pxebs().
>
> My understanding is the we should be operating in promiscuous mode and
> we specifically set the BOOTP flag for BROADCAST since we have an IP
> address at this point, so I believe the reply from the boot server is
> correct.

Off the list I received a reply from Wissam Shoukair suggesting a change
in udp_demux() to ignore the padding in the udp_conns.  I believe Wissam
intends to submit this patch soon.

This made me think about the promiscuity of the network interface at the
level of UDP.  Is the correct behaviour for ipxe to deliver all UDP
packets with the specified destination port to the next layer,
regardless of destination IP address?  Packets that have a bad unicast
IP address should be dropped at the next level, so I think that sounds
sensible, but I'd appreciate any other opinions.

Daniel

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message. Unless you are an addressee (or authorized to receive for an addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or any information contained in this message. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly prohibited.