[ipxe-devel] FTP connection with Wimboot

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Sun Apr 26 12:29:48 UTC 2015

On 21.04.2015 16:20, Christian Nilsson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Marc Le Bailly
> <marclebailly at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I tried this but it simply doesn't work :
>> label WinPE
>> com32 linux.c32 tftp/libs/wimboot
>> APPEND wimboot
>> initrd ftp://XXX.XXX.XX.XXX/tftp/images/WinPE/bcd
>> initrd ftp://XXX.XXX.XX.XXX/tftp/images/WinPE/boot.sdi
>> initrd ftp://XXX.XXX.XX.XXX/tftp/images/WinPE/boot.wim
>> I tried with initrdfile = ftp://... and it doesn't work either.
> ipxe does not support FTP only TFTP, HTTP is the recommended way to transfer.

Actually, iPXE supports FTP if you build it with support for FTP, but in
the example that is shown here, there is no indication that iPXE is used
at all. It seems to be a pure pxelinux setup. I'm not sure if PXELinux
has FTP support when it is used without iPXE in the background, but that
is a probably a question more accurately directed towards the syslinux
community. Your tests seem to indicate it doesn't have that support in
the binary you've been using, at least.

-- Robin