[ipxe-devel] kernel panic with ipxe.efi

Andreas Fink afink at list.fink.org
Thu Apr 2 18:07:09 UTC 2015

Try changing the order of your imgfetch commands.

I had some puzzling stuff while testing my OSX efi booting (http://www.fink.org/netboot/netbooting.html <http://www.fink.org/netboot/netbooting.html>) .
If I remember correctly it didn't work if kernel was specified first and then initrd but the other way around it did.

> On 02 Apr 2015, at 19:59, Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> wrote:
>
> Christian Nilsson <nikize at gmail.com> on Thu, 2015/04/02 19:22:
>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> wrote:
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> trying to boot a UEFI device with iPXE (bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi) results
>>> in a
>>> kernel panic. iPXE starts just fine, then downloads three files via
>>> http...
>>>
>>> * linux64 (Linux bzImage)
>>> * intel-ucode.img (uncompressed cpio archive with intel ucode)
>>> * initrd64 (xz compressed initramfs)
>>>
>>> ...boots the kernel, which panics. I took a picture of the kernel panic:
>>> http://www.eworm.de/tmp/DSC_0038.JPG
>>>
>>> The same files work just fine with iPXE bios version.
>>
>> Hi,
>> It can't mount the root fs - so would be interesting to see the exact
>> script/commands you are using.
>
> Basically it comes down to this:
>
> #!ipxe
>
> chain config.ipxe &&
> imgfree config.ipxe &&
>
> imgload linux${bits} &&
> imgargs linux${bits} ${params} ${configparams} &&
> imgfetch intel-ucode.img &&
> imgfetch initrd${bits} &&
> boot
>
> For me it looks like anything in image handling breaks... Possibly xz
> compression is not handled correctly? Don't know...
>
>> maybe try without intel-ucode and see if it can find the root fs?
>
> Already tried that, dropping intel-ucode.img does not make any difference.
>
>> Had a similar dump (root fs not mountable) earlier today with legacy, some
>> variants of boot arguments worked to some extent, while other did not.
>> It was not important at the time so I gave up on it.
> --
> main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
> "CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)
> putchar(b-1/(/*               gcc -o sig sig.c && ./sig    */b/42*2-3)*42);}

Andreas Fink

CEO DataCell ehf
CEO Backbone ehf

Tel: +41-61-6666330 Fax: +41-61-6666331  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: Clarastrasse 3, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
E-Mail:  andreas at fink.org
www.datacell.com, www.backbone.is, www.finkconsulting.com www.fink.org
Jabber/XMPP: andreas at fink.org
ICQ: 8239353 Skype: andreasfink