[ipxe-devel] USB-Keyboard "roccat arvo" doesnt work properly with ipxe-menu

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 19:45:05 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014, Oliver Rath <rath at mglug.de> wrote:

> >> Im using undionly.kpxe with builtin menu.
> >
> > OK, so you are using the BIOS version.  In that case, what I wrote
> > before applies: does the keyboard work in the BIOS environment outside
> > of iPXE (e.g. when booting MS-DOS, when typing at a LILO prompt, etc)?
>
> When the OS (i.e. Win80) has started, all is running fine. No problem
> with keyboard anymore. In Bios-menu himself the keyboards works fine, too.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

Hello Oliver,

As Michael suggested, I strongly suspect this is a firmware bug in your
UEFI BIOS or specifically in its CSM.  To rule out the keyboard itself,
though, just give any other USB keyboard a try, and see what happens.

There may be other workarounds available to you, too.  Try
unplugging/replugging the keyboard once you reach the iPXE menu.  If you
have multiple keyboards plugged in, disconnect one.  If you have only the
one keyboard plugged in, try adding a second one.

There might be some promise for a UEFI build of iPXE being able to remedy
your issue.  But that's about as much of a shot in the dark as my other
suggestions, and probably more work ;)

Lastly, check for a BIOS update for your motherboard. Personally speaking,
I had a problem with my system being unable to boot when my Yubikey (a OTP
device that presents as a USB keyboard) was plugged in.  Turned out to be a
known bug in my Gigabyte board's BIOS that was fixed in a firmware update
that came out before I even got the thing.

Regards,
Andrew