[ipxe-devel] Windows having problems parsing iBFT from recent iPXE versions?

Floris Bos bos at je-eigen-domein.nl
Wed Oct 29 10:44:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 10/29/2014 07:08 AM, Oliver Rath wrote:
> be sure, that your dhcp-server offers dns-namesrver via dhcp-6 option.
> Ive got problems with name-resolution, too. In my case it was the better
> way to send correct netbios-server via dhcp-44 option for name-resolution.

Note that the DHCP server setup is 100% the same for the iPXE version
that works and the one does not.
And supplying both nameserver and WINS through DHCP.

> Additionally, i miss the "dhcp" keyword on your ipxe-setup.

Doing that earlier on in an embedded iPXE script that downloads the real
script.
server's PXE boot -> undionly.kkpxe with embedded script -> real ipxe
script.

==
#!ipxe

set use-cached 1
dhcp
chain
http://${next-server}/script-that-spits-out-ipxe-script-for-that-server.php
==

iBFT examined in sysresccd of iPXE 2014 that does NOT work under Windows:

==
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft % cd ethernet0
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft/ethernet0 % grep "" *
grep: device: Is a directory
flags:3
hostname:virtualbox
index:0
ip-addr:192.168.178.4
mac:08:00:27:23:27:ac
origin:3
primary-dns:192.168.178.100
subnet-mask:255.255.255.0
vlan:0
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft/ethernet0 % cd ../initiator
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft/initiator % grep "" *
flags:3
index:0
initiator-name:iqn.2010-04.org.ipxe:virtualbox
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft/initiator % cd ../target0
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft/target0 % grep "" *
chap-type:0
flags:3
index:0
ip-addr:192.168.178.99
lun:00000000
nic-assoc:0
port:3260
target-name:iqn.2000-01.com.synology:DiskStation.diskless
==

iPXE 2012 that does work under Windows:

==
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft % cd ethernet0
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft/ethernet0 % grep "" *
grep: device: Is a directory
flags:3
hostname:virtualbox
index:0
ip-addr:192.168.178.4
mac:08:00:27:23:27:ac
origin:0
primary-dns:192.168.178.100
subnet-mask:255.255.255.0
vlan:0
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft/ethernet0 % cd ../initiator
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft/initiator % grep "" *
flags:3
index:0
initiator-name:iqn.2010-04.org.ipxe:virtualbox
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft/initiator % cd ../target0
root at sysresccd /sys/firmware/ibft/target0 % grep "" *
chap-type:0
flags:3
index:0
ip-addr:192.168.178.99
lun:00000000
nic-assoc:0
port:3260
target-name:iqn.2000-01.com.synology:DiskStation.diskless
==

Both have nameserver filled in.
One difference does seem to be that the new iPXE sets the origin to 3
(IpPrefixOriginDhcp) while the older one sets it to 0 (IpPrefixOriginOther)

Not sure if Windows acts differently on that.

--
Yours sincerely,

Floris Bos