[ipxe-devel] Broadcom BCM5906M not supported? - got error 0x3808 6101 and 0x040e e119

martin martin.schmidt13 at gmx.de
Sun Oct 5 08:06:52 UTC 2014

Dear developers,

yesterday i downloaded fresh source via git (commit 86285d...) did
"make" and burned the iso to a cd.

I tested this in my small home network with separat dhcp server. (old pc
- makes a lot of noise ;-)

I got

net0: ... using 14e4-1713 on pci09:00.0 (open)
  [Link down, tx:0 txe:0 rx:0 rxe:0]
  [Link status: Down http://ipxe.org/38086101]
Waiting for link-up on net0... ok

Configuring (net0 ................ Error 0x040ee119

No more network devices ... THE END

My girlfriends pc in the same network is booting properly with this cd
and network configuration

There we get:

net0: ... using rtl8168 on ...
  [Link up
Configuring ok

blablabla - and everything boots fine

The hardware of the broadcom its self is really working - the "on board"
software gets dhcp adresses and images via tftp and so on.

I also configured the net0 as described via
ifopen ...
set net0/ip ...
set net0/netmask ...

and tried to ping the pc from the dhcp server. The light was blinking
(so physically packages are coming) but i got hosts unreachable

if i do a dhcp net0 from the booting pc (inside STRG-B) so nothing blinks

(the other lamp is permanently on in all cases)

So - here is my problem behind this:

I can netboot debian via tftp with the onboard pxe because it get kernel
and image an everything works fine, because the linux kernel can handle
my broadcom chip...

But i can not netboot archlinux via
https://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/ipxe.pxe because as i understand
inside this is the ipxe software (commit 2c011) witch also doesnt
support my hardware?

Is BCM5906M supported at all? Bug? Feature?

Thanks in advance for any advise - i hope these informations were useful
for you
Martin

P.S. Sorry for typos - but better than photos i think...