[ipxe-devel] DHCP problems on Intel 82567LM

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Fri May 2 22:58:55 UTC 2014

I have similar symptoms, very reproducible.

same nic, but in an HP laptop:
lspci.. 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit
Network Connection

apt-get install grub-ipxe
342468 Jan  6 03:59 ipxe.lkrn

update it:

vt at pc9d:/boot$ sudo wget  http://boot.ipxe.org/ipxe.lkrn
2014-05-02 17:24:01 (188 KB/s) - ‘ipxe.lkrn’ saved [369882/369882]
vt at pc9d:/boot$ ls -l ipxe.lkrn
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 369882 May  2 17:00 ipxe.lkrn
vt at pc9d:/boot$ md5sum ipxe.lkrn
ca7c8c447041b40c1d65e34fbf6d0346  ipxe.lkrn

reboot

grub menu, pick ipxe,
iPXE 1.0.0+ (c6474)
 see dhcp/tftp traffic, repeat a few time just to be sure all is good.
Nothing seems to be wrong.

reboot.

grab the ubuntu net installer:

 wget -N
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/ubuntu-installer/amd64/linux
wget -N
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/ubuntu-installer/amd64/initrd.gz

pxe boot :
        linux ubuntu/trusty/amd64/linux
        append initrd=ubuntu/trusty/amd64/initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/0 rw

Enter though the defaults about keyboards and such, get to networking:
"Configuring network with dhcp... " error.

At this point, nothing I can do will make the nic function, even rebooting
and picking ipxe, or rebooting, hitting F11 and using the stock pxe in the
nic's rom.

I have to pull power/battery from the laptop to reset it.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org> wrote:

> On 02/05/14 11:01, Christian Hesse wrote:
>
>> Is the datapath broken in both directions?
>>>

>> No. The Dell notebook (the one acting as client and having the problem)
>> receives packets. I can not see a single ethernet frame on the network
>> sent
>> from the notebook.
>>
>>  Are you able to transmit ARP
>>> requests or broadcast pings, or observe received data via tcpdump?
>>>

>> tcpdump receives all types of packets on the notebook.
>>

> If you try sending a large number of packets (e.g. using arping or a
> broadcast ping: anything that won't wait for a reply before sending out the
> next packet) then what happens to the TX packet counts and error counts
> reported by ifconfig?
>
> Does tcpdump running on the notebook see its own transmitted packets?
>

>  Did a warm reboot and tried to boot via UNDI. BIOS reported:
>>
>>  PXE-E05: The LAN adapter's configuration is corupted or has not been
>>> initialized. The Boot agent cannot continue.
>>>

>> Though this is not reproducible. After a cold reboot everything ist just
>> fine
>> again.
>>

> Good to know, but it's probably going to be easier to try to diagnose the
> problem from within Linux first.
>

> Michael

Carl K