[ipxe-devel] iPXE boot from both ports (from diferent subnets) not working

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 10:27:11 UTC 2014

On Mar 14, 2014 3:37 AM, "Wissam Shoukair" <wissams at mellanox.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a similar problem to the one mentioned earlier by "Laborde
Louis", but in this case I'm trying to boot in PXE mode and not iSCSI.

> The problem here is this:
>
> 1 - DHCP from net0 is successful
>
> 2 - pxelinux.0 is downloaded from net0
>
> 3 - pxelinux.0 is executed and we get the default menu from the server
connected to net0

> 4 - we exit from the menu to continue booting from net1 (the second port)
>
> 5 - DHCP from net1 is successful
>
> 6 - pxelinux.0 is downloaded from net1
>
> ***7 - pxelinux.0 is executed, but it gets the parameters of net0 (the
first port), (its IP address, its server's address, mac address...)

> 8 - failed to get the menu file from the server (because its sending
packets with the IP address of net0 and server connected to net0, using
net1)

> Somehow, if the first image succeeds to run, its parameters are saved and
used when running the same type of image.

I have observed this on VMware Workstation VMs also.  It's some kind of
negative interaction. My guess is that both VMware BIOS and iPXE don't
clean things up enough or PXELINUX is using a fallback plan.

Try 4.07 or 4.05 and take screenshots of each. Please ensure the detection
info is captured for the first boot, ie don't load a menu or clear the
screen.

--Gene