[ipxe-devel] [ipxe] Expose board-serial and board-product through SMBios (#21)

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Jun 12 17:25:05 UTC 2014

On 12/06/14 18:08, Dale Hamel wrote:
> Workflow would go like this:
>
> 0.) Move site to static github.io (possibly using something like jekyll
> to make changes easier)
> 1.) Someone generates a PR, which is reviewed and deemed good
> 2.) The branch is merged locally, and you run whatever code you had to
> do the error number generation as a static page (jekyll could probably
> help with this)
> 3.) You update the master branch and close the PR.

The error pages are not static; they get generated on demand.  The list
of possible errors is generated via

   make bin/errors bin-x86_64-linux/errors bin-i386-efi/errors ....etc

and then processed into an SQLite database using contrib/errdb/errdb.pl.
  When a page within the error namespace is requested, a custom dokuwiki
plugin then uses the database to generate the header information
(including the hyperlinks to the lines of code whence the error might
originate).

It's a very slick process involving absolutely no manual intervention on
my part.  Any error added to the codebase will show up in an error page
within a very short time of being pushed to the master branch, and the
pertinent details for the error page (including the full error text) are
pulled directly from the source code.

> Or, just pull merge normal PRs like normal, then do add the updated
> error code stuff after merging master.
>
> Otherwise, keep the old servers around just for error code /linenumber
> lookup. Either way, hosting off of github.io should reduce your hosting
> costs and improve reliability.

Hosting costs are zero since I already own a physical server in
Telehouse North, and it all just runs from there.  I would be concerned
about the loss of control over hosting on any free external service
(particularly the risk that the service might in future decide to insert
advertisements).

> I can help you with the migration (or even just a mockup) if you like -
> love the iPXE project and would be happy to contribute in any way that I
> can.

Thank you for the offer; I do appreciate it.  I have to say that I'm
very happy with the current hosting arrangement and don't really want to
change unless there is a demonstrable benefit which won't increase my
workload.