[ipxe-devel] [ipxe] Expose board-serial and board-product through SMBios (#21)

Dale Hamel notifications at github.com
Thu Jun 12 16:41:26 UTC 2014

@ipxe-devel my only argument for board-product is that it is useful during automated intake, which is what we use iPXE for. However, it is possible to collect this data later in the process, so it's not essential to have at boot time. The board-manufacturer is not likely to vary from chassis manufacturer, just because of how most large companies tend to perform their orders for servers - that's why it was not proposed.

I can see your point when it comes to community docs, but my suggestion to move ipxe.org to github.io would still keep control within the hands of selected gatekeepers, such as yourself, and have the added benefit that changes like this one could be submitted with accompanying documentation, which might help keep the docs complete / up-to-date. But, this isn't the right venue for such a discussion :)

I'm updating the patch to remove board-product, and squash the commits.

---
https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/pull/21#issuecomment-45916486