[ipxe-devel] [ipxe] Expose board-serial and board-product through SMBios (#21)

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Jun 12 16:22:49 UTC 2014

On 12/06/14 16:42, Robin Smidsrød wrote:
> I just did a tiny check with VirtualBox, and both 2.7.0 and 2.5.0 do
> contain useful values (same as product/serial). Is it possibly that we
> could swap chassis product/serial to board product/serial for the named
> settings?

That would potentially break backwards compatibility, so I'm reluctant
to do that.

I'm convinced by the argument that ${board-serial} is sufficiently
useful, since ${serial} will apparently not be unique between blades.
I'm less convinced that ${board-product} is useful (not least because
there's no obvious reason to me why ${board-product} is more justifiable
than ${board-manufacturer}, which hasn't been proposed).

Does anyone object to having just ${board-serial} included as a named
setting?