[ipxe-devel] [ipxe] Expose board-serial and board-product through SMBios (#21)

Dale Hamel notifications at github.com
Sat Jun 7 23:15:25 UTC 2014

This change exposes the SMBios attributes for the board serial and board product.

This enables for unique identification of Blade nodes, where the chassis serial will be the same as all other blades in the chassis.

We currently use these attributes at Shopify to uniquely identify nodes at boot time, where we can't depend on other attributes such as UUID to exist.

It's a relatively minor change, and expands the existing functionality by exposing additional standard SMBios attributes, which are particularly useful on blade nodes / where there are multiple nodes per chassis.
You can merge this Pull Request by running:

  git pull https://github.com/OpenSRE/ipxe board-vendor-serial-smbios

Or you can view, comment on it, or merge it online at:

  https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/pull/21

-- Commit Summary --

  * Expose board-serial and board-product through SMBios

-- File Changes --

    M src/interface/smbios/smbios_settings.c (22)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/pull/21.patch
https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/pull/21.diff

---