[ipxe-devel] Relative interest in snponly.efi?

Jarrod Johnson jarrod.b.johnson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 18:48:06 UTC 2014

We've been using it in xCAT without much issue.  We pretty much now have
UEFI and BIOS on equal footing for our Windows, ESXi, and Linux support.
We patched elilo to provide a bridge to execute linux kernels with iPXE
capabilities when said kernel does not have a viable CONFIG_EFI_STUB
facility.  We don't test distros older than Ubuntu 12.04, RHEL6, and
SLES11, and I think RHEL5 explicitly didn't work for example.

I personally like the end result behavior enough to merrily recommend it
over BIOS style boot (at least when you have some ipmi implementation to
help override boot sequence at will).