[ipxe-devel] DNS Suffix Search List may not work with Microsoft DHCP servers - Fixes!

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Wed Feb 26 16:26:55 UTC 2014

On 13/02/14 23:13, Matthew Helton wrote:
> Hello list. I was testing the latest enhancement for iPXE. It worked
> perfectly on InfoBlox and ISC DHCPD but couldn't get it work on a
> Windows DHCP server.. After a little searching, I came up with this:
>
> Explanation of the technical problem:
>
> http://www.mattzuba.com/2011/03/windows-2008-rc2-dhcp-server-option-119/
>
> Working fix (Look for the Powershell 2.0 script):
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd572752(v=office.13).aspx
>
> Tested working on a Server 2008 R2 SP1 DHCP Server...

As far as I can tell, the problem here is that the MS DHCP server does
not meaningfully support setting a DNS search list using option 119, and
the advice in the Technet article to work around it using a
semicolon-separated list is simply incorrect.

The user-contributed Powershell script on that page will fix up the
semicolon-separated list to the correct RFC3397-compliant format for
option 119.