[ipxe-devel] Building iPXE, enabling use of the "console" command

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Mon Feb 3 16:02:13 UTC 2014

Hi Antony,

you have two possibilities for enabling it:

     1. Just uncomment "CONSOLE_CMD" in ipxe/src/config/general.h (this
        is lost after git upgrade)
     2. write the "#define CONSOLE_CMD"  into the file
        ipxe/src/config/local/general.h (this persists over upgrade
        (@Michael:right?))

On 01.02.2014 08:11, Anthony Takata wrote:
> I've been trying to get the console command working, and even
> attempting to allow debugging in that module, but for the life of me
> it seems I cannot.
> It's not really a game breaker, since I can just have it ignore the
> error, but it would be nifty to have.
If you were able to compile it, most of the work is done :-)

> Merely using the command alone does reset the screen, but attempting
> to use any parameters at all results in a "No such file or directory"
> error.
> I've tried using the DEBUG=console:3 in the build parameters, but I'm
> not getting any more output than normal from it :/
> Even a command such as "console -x 720 -y 400" fails like this, even
> though that's already the active display format...
> Any ideas?
Did you try enabling it together with a picture? You are able to use png
and pnm format. I.e.

"console -x 640 -y 480 --picture tftp://myserver/mypic.png" worked fine
for me.

The 720x400 format seems to to be a standard VESA resolution, but
640x480 should always work.

> My build command is: make clean bin/ipxe.lkrn EMBED=script.ipxe
> and I have uncommented the referenced settings seen at
> ipxe.org/cmd/console <http://ipxe.org/cmd/console>.

"make clean bin/ipxe.lkrn EMBED=script.ipxe" seems wrong with the
"clean" keyword in it. If you want to debug console command, better use
"make bin/ipxe.lkrn EMBED=script.ipxe DEBUG=vesafb" so you can see if
your choosen reolution is supported.

Hth
OIliver