[ipxe-devel] Hang during 'establishing link' using ASIX USB dongle and undi driver

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Apr 17 12:14:38 UTC 2014

On 15/04/14 00:08, Mike Harris wrote:
> I'm trying to get a ASIX USB dongle booting with iPXE using chainloading
> and the UNDI drivers. It's hanging during the 'Establishing link' step.
> This is on a Lenovo X1 Carbon, an ultrabook with no onboard NIC, and
> this device is the only one Lenovo supports for PXE booting, going so
> far as to blacklist other USB device IDs in the BIOS.
>
> I've attached two screenshots, one with DEBUG=undinet:15 and one
> without. For some reason, when I enable debugging, the hang happens at a
> slightly earlier spot (during 'Enumerating devices'). Both were built
> with the same embedded script, which I've attached as 'debug.ipxe'. I
> think the hang is in the 'dhcp' line. Initially the link lights on the
> device are off, and iPXE prints 'Establishing link', which a dot every
> few seconds. The link lights turn on, and the iPXE dots stop. Maybe a
> bug in the return from the USB device's ROM?

Both the "Enumerating for ASIX USB DONGLE..." and "Establishing link..."
messages are being printed by the ASIX PXE ROM.  iPXE is not in control
at this point.

It may be that the underlying PXE ROM is simply not reliable enough to
handle being shut down and reinitialised.  You may have more luck using
undionly.kkpxe (which will omit the calls to PXENV_UNDI_SHUTDOWN and
PXENV_UNLOAD_STACK).