[ipxe-devel] Issues chainbooting iPXE to WDS 2012R2

Hummel Frank F.Hummel at ads-tec.de
Tue Apr 15 07:30:44 UTC 2014

Hi,

:wds-server
dhcp
 set wdsserver 10.200.0.74
 set alternatetftp 10.200.0.74
 set net0/dhcp-server ${wdsserver}
 set net0/filename wdsbnp.com ← Typo, not the cause for the current prob
 set net0/gateway ${wdsserver}
 set net0/next-server ${wdsserver}
 set net0/user-class PXEClient
Your sequence:
:wimboot
  cpuid --ext 29 && set arch amd64 || set arch x86
  kernel wimboot
  initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/bootmgr       bootmgr
  initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/boot/bcd      BCD
  initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/boot/boot.sdi boot.sdi
  initrd winpe/${arch}/winpe.wim         boot.wim
  boot || goto failed
  goto start
You are missing the fonts and left and right must look the same. Should look like this:

:wimboot
  cpuid --ext 29 && set arch amd64 || set arch x86
  kernel wimboot
  initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/bootmgr       			bootmgr
  initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/boot/bcd      			bcd 		← take care! Case sensitive!
  initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/boot/boot.sdi			boot.sdi
  initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/boot/segmono_boot.ttf 	segmono_boot.ttf
  initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/boot/segoe_slboot.ttf 		segoe_slboot.ttf
  initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/boot/segoen_slboot.ttf 	segoen_slboot.ttf
  initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/boot/wgl4_boot.ttf 		wgl4_boot.ttf
  initrd winpe/${arch}/winpe.wim         			winpe.wim 	← Names must match and must match the entry in your bcd!
  Imgstat 								← enables you to see if all files have been loaded
  prompt 								← stops until you continue after reading imgstat output
  boot || goto failed
  goto start

My experience with wimboot is that it is quite unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes not - depending on the boot.wim file. But I could not find out why it fails with some wim-files and succeeds with others.
That's why I use syslinux memdisk and the ISO file containing the very same wim-file failing with wimboot which always works.
E.g.:
set sanboot-url http://123.456.789.012
initrd ${sanboot-url}/win7pe_x86.iso
chain syslinux/memdisk iso raw