[ipxe-devel] ipxe breaks 82567LM nic

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sun Apr 6 23:26:51 UTC 2014

pxe boot rom works fine. (stock, no flashing roms going on here)
boot into linux, dhcp and networking are fine.

apt-get install grub-ipxe <http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/grub-ipxe>
cd /boot
wget  http://boot.ipxe.org/ipxe.lkrn
(condition occurs with the older version too)

reboot, grub, select ipxe, it boots
dhcp, tftp.. boots   kernel syslinux/menu.c32 (all good)
reboot, do that again, works fine. (good)
power cycle, (power button to off state, but laptop sill powered)
boot into linux
dhcp fails, dhcp server does not report any activity.   (bad)

power cycle, select boot rom, times out (no activity on dhcp server)

power cycle, select ipxe, times out.  (says 4 packets transmitted, none
received.  no activity on dhcp server)

let it drop to boot room, it gets as far as displaying the room banner
(ID.. copyright) and then the machine hangs.  (no capslock light, stays
like this for 10 minutes when I gave up and power cycled.)

If I remove power and battery, that resets it and I can pxe or boot into
linux with networking just fine.

lspci
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 03)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nre4fzfhsnag6li/IMG_20140406_172917.jpg

--
Carl K