[ipxe-devel] iPXE and Citrix PVS conflict suspected

NICOLAS CATTIE nicolas.cattie at mpsa.com
Wed Apr 2 16:49:07 UTC 2014

Hi

I'm trying to use iPXE (latest build) to redirect some of our physical
machine to Citrix PVS (to stream windows 7 from PVS server to the physical
machine) but I'm having a random problem.

The Process :

-          The machine is booting with PXE

-          The DHCP gives the iPXE server

-          An iPXE script is executed and chain to PVS

Embedded script :

dhcp

Chain http://ipxe.domain.com/boot.aspx

Boot.aspx gives the script :

Chain tftp://10.1.2.3/ARDBP32.bin

10.1.2.3 is the PVS server and ARDBP32.bin is the Citrix boostrap that
intercept BIOS interrupt 13 to request the PVS server for missing blocks to
be streamed

The PVS bootstrap always starts correctly but i'm having a random problem
with OS streaming : sometime, the windows boot hangs. The problem does not
appear on the same machine each time. If I configure DHCP so that the
machine contacts the PVS server directly, the problem never occurs (but I
can't stay with this configuration because I have to redirect to different
PXE environment).

I also tried different command line (autoreplace, autofree) but no change.
Even tried PXEBS instead of direct tftp chain, still no change.

I suspect a memory conflict between iPXE and PVS (ARDBP32.bin). I have
opened a ticket at Citrix, but is there a way to diagnose what happen and if
there is a memory problem ?

Thank you for your help

Nicolas