[ipxe-devel] have you tested grub-efi 2 on ipxe boot

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Tue Oct 29 17:16:52 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
| On 29/10/13 16:56, James A. Peltier wrote:
| > | What's the exact error message?
| >
| > Could not select:  Exec format error (http://ipxe.org/2e008001)
| > Booting Failed.
|
| It looks as though the CentOS 6 kernels are built without support for
| booting as an EFI binary.  I think the relevant kernel configuration
| option is CONFIG_EFI_STUB.
|
| Michael

When booting using the CD images, for which there is only one image, these kernels boot fine.  However, at that point it's booting using BOOTX64.EFI and not the images directly.  This would indicate to me, a neophyte, that the images require something else to be "toggled" in order to notice that they are booting on an EFI system.

I cannot however, get iPXE to chainload the BOOTX64.EFI stuff properly.  The boot process starts, the countdown occurs to install CentOS as is defined in the BOOTX64.conf file and then it complains that "a kernel must be loaded first".  I hacked around this by adding the (nd) parameters to the front of it at which point it loaded the kernel and initrd and then just hung there.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw