[ipxe-devel] Intel 82579lm => Bad performance with AMT enabled

Bovey Christian Christian.Bovey at chuv.ch
Mon Oct 28 14:23:31 UTC 2013

Hello,

We are happily using iPXE for more than two years now.

Our solution for disk cloning is GHOST and booting with iPXE is really fast with DOS.
Our current server works with Windows 2003 and we have to change it for a new one which do not support DOS any more.

We have a solution with Windows PE, but transfer speed with new computers using Intel 82579lm is really slow.

We tried to found a solution, doing lots of tests (You can see result in the forum : http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=6796). We found that auto-negotiation fails to detect correct speed and force link to 10Mbit/s.

As suggested by robinsmidrod, we built a new kernel (ipxe.pxe) with debug enabled (DEBUG=intel:3).

The four pictures attached to this mail shows boot results using various configuration :

·         AMT_ON_AUTO_10M.jpg

o   Our standard configuration

o   AMT : Enabled

o   Speed and Duplex : AUTO

o   Negotiated speed in BIOS : 1Gbit/s

o   Negotiated speed after iPXE boot : 10Mbit/s

·         AMT_ON_1G_NoLink.jpg

o   AMT : Enabled

o   Speed and Duplex : 1Gbit/s

o   Negotiated speed in BIOS : 1Gbit/s

o   Negotiated speed after iPXE boot : No link

·         AMT_OFF_1G_1G.jpg :

o   AMT : Disabled

o   Speed and Duplex : AUTO

o   Negotiated speed in BIOS : 1Gbit/s

o   Negotiated speed after iPXE boot : 1Gbit/s

·         AMT_OFF_AUTO_1G.jpg :

o   AMT : Disabled

o   Speed and Duplex : 1Gbit/s

o   Negotiated speed in BIOS : 1Gbit/s

o   Negotiated speed after iPXE boot : 1Gbit/s

Tests are all done between two computers using direct connection, both HP with Intel 82579lm. We have the same results with a lot of models (As shown in the forum).

Can you help us finding a solution for this problem?

Thank you very much !

Christian Bovey
CHUV
centre hospitalier universitaire vaudois

Christian BOVEY - Gestion des interventions
Direction des systèmes d'informations | SSI
Bureau BU21/05 /010
Rue du Bugnon 21, CH-1011 Lausanne

+41 (0)21 314 6999 TEL
Christian.Bovey at chuv.ch<mailto:Christian.Bovey at chuv.ch>