[ipxe-devel] iPXE with specific list of DHCP server(s)

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Tue Oct 15 12:34:09 UTC 2013

On 14/10/13 19:39, Shantanu Gadgil wrote:
> The IT guys already have one DHCP server running per subnet. (for network booting)
>
> I want to deploy my own PXE booting network, parallel to theirs to try out iPXE.
> (which would point the PXE clients to *my* installation server, rather than theirs.
>
> Having this feature allows me to test an alternate configuration even when the machine's
> MAC address is present in the IT network.

As other people have already pointed out, this is likely to be
considered a network misconfiguration by your IT guys.  :)

The easiest way to perform iPXE testing might be to start iPXE from a
USB stick, with an embedded script.  This allows iPXE to use your
existing DHCP servers only to acquire an IP address; your embedded
script can then dictate what happens next in the boot process.

If your network is _not_ already using ProxyDHCP, then you could instead
use dnsmasq to provide a ProxyDHCP service; this would allow you to
provide chainloaded iPXE (undionly.kpxe) only to your clients, while
continuing to use your existing DHCP servers to provide IP addresses.

Hope that helps,