[ipxe-devel] iPXE with specific list of DHCP server(s)

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Mon Oct 14 21:51:01 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

| --------------------------------------------
| On Mon, 10/14/13, Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk> wrote:
|
|  On 14/10/13 08:13, Shantanu Gadgil
|  wrote:
|  > I was wondering if I can *specify* the the DHCP
|  server(s) that I want iPXE to accept OFFERs from (using IP
|  address) and ignore others.
|  > The situation is that there could be more than one DHCP
|  server.
|
|  There is no support for doing this in iPXE.  Such a
|  requirement would normally indicate that the network is
|  misconfigured; what is the motivation for wanting this
|  functionality?
|
| 'Misconfiguration' ... I don't think so! :)
| /If the dhclient protocol/config/whatever has a 'reject' setting, why
| can't it have a
| an 'accept_only' setting?/
|
| That said, let me explain the real situation ...
|
| The IT guys already have one DHCP server running per subnet. (for
| network booting)
|
| I want to deploy my own PXE booting network, parallel to theirs to
| try out iPXE.
| (which would point the PXE clients to *my* installation server,
| rather than theirs.
|
| Having this feature allows me to test an alternate configuration even
| when the machine's
| MAC address is present in the IT network.
|
| Regards,
| Shantanu

Which is exactly a network misconfiguration.  You're attempting to circumvent your IT Services infrastructure in favour of your own.  If you want a test bed, set on up.  You don't need a "real" network to test iPXE.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw