[ipxe-devel] iPXE with specific list of DHCP server(s)

Shantanu Gadgil shantanugadgil at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 18:39:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, 10/14/13, Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk> wrote:

 On 14/10/13 08:13, Shantanu Gadgil
 wrote:
 > I was wondering if I can *specify* the the DHCP
 server(s) that I want iPXE to accept OFFERs from (using IP
 address) and ignore others.
 > The situation is that there could be more than one DHCP
 server.

 There is no support for doing this in iPXE.  Such a
 requirement would normally indicate that the network is
 misconfigured; what is the motivation for wanting this
 functionality?

'Misconfiguration' ... I don't think so! :)
/If the dhclient protocol/config/whatever has a 'reject' setting, why can't it have a
an 'accept_only' setting?/

That said, let me explain the real situation ...

The IT guys already have one DHCP server running per subnet. (for network booting)

I want to deploy my own PXE booting network, parallel to theirs to try out iPXE.
(which would point the PXE clients to *my* installation server, rather than theirs.

Having this feature allows me to test an alternate configuration even when the machine's
MAC address is present in the IT network.

Regards,
Shantanu