[ipxe-devel] The "right" memdisk version to use with ipxe

Shao Miller sha0.miller at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 01:31:15 UTC 2013

While Syslinux' COMBOOT32 modules care about which version of Syslinux
(SYSLINUX, PXELINUX, ISOLINUX, etc.) is being used, MEMDISK is independent
of the Syslinux version.  MEMDISK is also independent of the iPXE version.
It is a Linux x86 kernel format binary and can be booted by any boot-loader
capable of booting those.  (Such as iPXE.)

I would use any MEMDISK from any Syslinux >= 3.84 to boot .ISOs.  But it's
worth noting that iPXE can boot .ISOs without memory-mapping them, if you
might enjoy that.

- Shao Miller