[ipxe-devel] The "right" memdisk version to use with ipxe

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 18:01:21 UTC 2013

On Nov 28, 2013, at 8:29 AM, Thomas Mieslinger <miesi at pc-h.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> having been unable to find a way to directly boot an iso from ipxe, I'd like to know which is the recommended version of memdisk (from the syslinux package) to use with latest ipxe. I'm asking this because sometimes you can't use every memdisk with evey pxelinux.0.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Thomas

Hello Thomas,

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest the memdisk from syslinux 3.83.

For some reason, I've always had better luck booting iPXE's
memory-mapped ISOs with GRUB4DOS. I'm not sure of the exact command
syntax, but it's something like "map (rd) (cd0); map --hook; root
(cd0); chainloader +1; boot;"

It may be (cd) or (cd32) instead of (cd0), and rootnoverify instead of
root... Might also need a "cdrom --init" in there too... It's been a
while since I've had to do this ;)

The readme file should provide some insight, of course!

Cheers,
Andrew