[ipxe-devel] iPXE help

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Thu May 16 09:37:58 UTC 2013

On 15.05.2013 22:49, Michael Brown wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 May 2013 21:34:09 Gray, Michael E. wrote:
>> We area Church / School who would like to utilize the IPXE boot options,
>> preferably off a USB drive.  We are well versed in DOS, WINDOWS not Linux
>> however.  Is there any way to gather a image for a USB thumb drive and be
>> able to edit the script file to boot from a specified location. Thank you.
>
> You can find instructions on embedding scripts at
>
>   http://ipxe.org/embed#embedding_within_the_ipxe_binary
>
> To create a bootable USB image with an embedded script, you will need
> something like:
>
>   make bin/ipxe.usb EMBED=myscript.ipxe
>
> where myscript.ipxe contains an iPXE script similar to:
>
>   #!ipxe
>   dhcp
>   chain http://my.web.server/boot.php
>
> This image can then be transferred to a USB key using
>
>   dd if=bin/ipxe.usb of=/dev/sdX
>
> You will need a Linux system in order to build iPXE (or any Unix-like system,
> such as Mac OS X).

Or you can use http://rom-o-matic.eu/, and paste the above script into
the "embedded script" text area and you should be ready to go. You'll of
course need to write the ipxe.usb file directly to a USB stick, which is
a bit tricky to do in Windows. I've used dd for windows, found at
http://www.chrysocome.net/dd, but it is a bit tricky to use. Make sure
you use the right device path, or you might accidentally overwrite a
drive you care about.

-- Robin