[ipxe-devel] iPXE help

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed May 15 20:49:38 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 15 May 2013 21:34:09 Gray, Michael E. wrote:
> We area Church / School who would like to utilize the IPXE boot options,
> preferably off a USB drive.  We are well versed in DOS, WINDOWS not Linux
> however.  Is there any way to gather a image for a USB thumb drive and be
> able to edit the script file to boot from a specified location. Thank you.

You can find instructions on embedding scripts at

  http://ipxe.org/embed#embedding_within_the_ipxe_binary

To create a bootable USB image with an embedded script, you will need
something like:

  make bin/ipxe.usb EMBED=myscript.ipxe

where myscript.ipxe contains an iPXE script similar to:

  #!ipxe
  dhcp
  chain http://my.web.server/boot.php

This image can then be transferred to a USB key using

  dd if=bin/ipxe.usb of=/dev/sdX

You will need a Linux system in order to build iPXE (or any Unix-like system,
such as Mac OS X).