[ipxe-devel] Install RHEL to iSCSI Target and Boot From iPXE

Matthew Helton mwhelton at gmail.com
Fri May 10 01:17:24 UTC 2013

To me, you are doing it backwards...

Boot from iPXE from USB: configure network and mount (Blank) iSCSI Target
disk (sanhook) with "keep san 1' and then exit iPXE to boot from the RHEL
CD-ROM.

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Gruher, Joseph R
<joseph.r.gruher at intel.com>wrote:

>  Hello-****
>
> ** **
>
> I am trying to boot RHEL6.4 over iSCSI using iPXE to start the boot
> process.  I’ve done this before on boards which had BIOS iSCSI boot support
> and it works fine so I know RHEL6.4 supports iSCSI boot.  However, I can’t
> quite seem to get it to work with iPXE.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> My process is:****
>
> **1.       **Boot RHEL installer from ISO****
>
> **2.       **Mount iSCSI target using iSCSI support in installer GUI****
>
> **3.       **Install RHEL as usual, no special settings****
>
> **4.       **Reboot and boot from iPXE on USB key****
>
> **5.       **Use iPXE script to configure network interface and sanboot
> from iSCSI target****
>
> ** **
>
> It almost works… iPXE is able to configure the network and connect the
> target and begin the boot process.  I can actually see RHEL loading for a
> while so I know boot has begun.  However, before boot completes, it crashes
> as shown in the attached screenshot.  My theory is this is happening when
> the iSCSI connection is handed off from iPXE to the native iSCSI initiator
> in RHEL, but that is just a guess, I don’t really have any evidence for
> that being the case.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> Is this a known problem?  Any known tips or tricks or workarounds I might
> try?****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks!****
>
> ** **
>
> -Joe****
>
> ** **
>
> ****

There is never time enough to do it right, but there always seems to be
enough time to do it again.